Portland’s UnShul 5779/2018 Days of Awe: Gestation of our Liberation
Dear UnShul Members and Supporters:
We are delighted to announce our High Holy Day Services!
We will meet at the home of Rabbah D’vorah and can accommodate 60 souls. Given the interest we have already heard we want to urge you to register early to make sure you secure your spot. (Details below.)
Join Portland’s UnShul, a lyrical, mystical, queer drenched, passionately activist, spiritually intimate Jewish community, as we immerse ourselves in tshuvah work which includes and transcends personal atonement. Through traditional and renewed prayer and spiritual practice we will immerse ourselves in our kavanah/intention for the year: The Gestation of our Liberation – Building the world we seek together. For our LGBTQ followers (and all those who love us), please join us for the Yom Kippor Mincha service for a celebration of queer lives through the lens of Torah.
As we fully embrace the community model, we are considering offering children’s services for the mornings of first day Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippor. Please let us know as soon as possible, but no later than August 20 if you would like to enroll your children. We will need a minimum of 5 children to make this offering viable.
Rosh HaShanah Services
- Rosh HaShanah Sunday, September 9th, 6:30 pm
- We begin our Days of Awe experience gathering around the Peace Pole for a brief ritual (for more information about The Peace Pole Project: http://www.peacepoleproject.org/ )
- Services begin at 6:45pm with candle lighting
- Rosh HaShanah Day One Monday, September 10th, 9:30 am-1:30 pm (approximately)
- Tentative Children’s Service: 9:30 am – 10:30 am
- Rosh HaShanah Day Two Tuesday, September 11th, starting at 9:30 am going until 1:00 pm (approximately):
- We will start Day Two lifting our voices in song and prayer followed by Rabbah D’vorah’s workshop: Artful Dialogue Across the Political Divide
- We conclude with apples & honey and a potluck brunch
Yom Kippor Services
- Kol Nidre Tuesday, September 18th, 6:30 pm
- Yom Kippor Wednesday, September 19th Services 9:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Tentative Children’s Service 9:30 am – 10:30 am
- Healing ritual 4:00 pm
- Mincha and Neilah 5:30-7:30
Pot luck break-fast immediately following. Please bring a dairy or pareve dish to share!
For sustaining members of Portland’s UnShul (those giving 2%-1% of Adjusted Gross Income, depending on income), High Holy Day services are a benefit included with your membership. All who have committed financially to the UnShul since our June 2018 transition to a community model will receive this benefit.
For those that have not yet committed to full membership, we request a $200 donation for 25 hours of remarkable spiritual reflection, community and inspiration at our High Holy Days. Your donation will also serve to support all the vibrant ways Rabbah represents Jewish voices in our common struggles through our Social Justice Fund.
No one will be turned away due to inability to pay. Please reach out to our Treasurer by emailing Alison Loercher at email@example.com to discuss payment options.
To make sure your spot is reserved in our limited space please register asap! You can do so in a few ways:
- For sustaining members, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your intention to attend.
If there is space for drop-ins we will let you know, and will accept donations at the door from 6-6:30, before the holy days of Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippor begin.
Check out our Facebook page for daily Elul meditations during our lead up to the Days of Awe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pdx.UnShul/
Questions or requests can be directed to our Facebook page or email@example.com
Please join us! It won’t be the same without you!